Soon Y Warren
4-Day Still Life Watercolor Workshop
Apr 11-14, 2016
The Baltimore Watercolor Society is pleased and excited to host Soon Young Warren, AWS, NWS, in a four-day watercolor workshop where she will introduce BWS watercolorists to her painting style and techniques. The workshop will begin Monday, April 11, 2016 and end Thursday, April 14, 2016 at the Hawthorn Center in Columbia, MD.
Soon will lead the class through two water-color painting projects over the four days, as described below:
Watercolor Group Studio Exercise #1
The class will learn how to create an image of a cut crystal bowl in watercolor in a step-by-step process. To speed up the class exercise, Soon will provide a reference photo and drawing for the group exercise.
Following a painting demonstration, workshop participants will do their own painting in order to fully understand the process. While concentrating on technique, the concept of color theory, composition, and color values will be incorporated into the workshop.
Watercolor Group Studio Exercise #2
To help students to loosen up, Soon will demonstrate her pouring process by helping students paint an animal from a photo of their choosing, or a cat from a photo that Soon will provide for practice.
From these two painting projects, workshop participants will learn:
- Glazing and washing techniques to create a luminous under painting;
- How to utilize light and dark values in order to capture the sparkle of glass;
- How to approach a painting;
- How to incorporate the concept of color theory and color relationships into a painting;
Discussion and critiques will follow during workshop session.
In addition to the group exercise, participants are encouraged to bring current pieces to paint along with reference photos. To make the most of instructional time, prepare the drawings before the workshop.
To read about the process of how to paint this same crystal bowl before the workshop, read the step-by-step painting process in Soon's second book, “Painting Vibrant Watercolor- discover the magic of light, color and contrast.” You can purchase the book from Amazon or from North Light Books. (http://www.northlightshop.com/top-vibrant-watercolor-techniques-with-soon-warren-digital-download-u6116)
SUPPLIES LIST AND PREPARATION INSTRUCTIONS
A list of workshop supplies and instructions for preparing for this workshop will be sent to those registering about one month in advance of the workshop.
ABOUT SOON YOUNG-WARREN
Soon Y. Warren is a full time artist and teacher. She has an Associate degree in commercial art from Thomas Nelson Community College in Hampton, Virginia. Soon's paintings have been shown in exhibitions around the world and earned numerous awards. Soon is a signature member of the
National Watercolor Society (NWS), the American Watercolor Society (AWS), the Transparent Watercolor Society of America (TWSA) and several state and local watercolor societies.
- The price for the workshop is $380 for BWS members (Signature Artists and Associates) and $460 for non-BWS members.
- The class size is limited to 20 people, and the workshop cannot be split with another person.
IMPORTANT RESTRICTION ON REGISTERING FOR MULTIPLE WORKSHOPS
Because of high demand for workshops and to better serve the entire BWS membership body, the BWS board features three RESTRICTED four-day workshops each year. Members may register for only one RESTRICTED workshop each calendar year.
This workshop with Soon Young-Warren is a "restricted" workshop, meaning that if you register for this workshop you will not be able to also register for either the Joyce Hicks or Iain Stewart workshops.
(Note from Rob Talbert: Although the BWS website will not prevent you from registering for multiple workshops, registrations are manually monitored, and you will be cancelled from any second or third workshop you register for. You are welcome to send me an email after registrations open on Jan 9 to request being added to the waiting list. Priority will be given to members who have not attended another restricted workshop.)
- BWS maintains a workshop waiting list for BWS members for workshops which are filled or restricted. When openings occur, BWS fills the openings from the waiting list on a first-come, first-served basis. (Priority is given to members who have not registered for any of the other restricted workshops during the year.)
- BWS adds names to the waiting list according to the date and time the BWS Workshop Chair receives the email request.
- You can join the waiting list if a workshop is filled.
- You can also join the waiting list beginning on January 9 if you registered for one of the other restricted workshops but would like to attend an additional workshop if space is available.
- You can't join a waiting list before registration opens.
- Email Rob@TalbertFineArt.com to join a workshop waiting list.
CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS
- Paid registrants who cancel before March 15, 2016 will receive a full refund less a $25 cancellation fee if the spot can be filled from the waiting list. If the spot cannot be filled, the amount refundable is 80% of the workshop price.
- Paid registrants who cancel after March 15, 2016 will receive a full refund less a $50 cancellation fee if the spot can be filled from the waiting list. If the spot cannot be filled, no refund will be given.
- In the event of inclement weather, the workshop will still be held unless the Hawthorn Center is unable to open or the workshop artist is unable to travel. If BWS cancels the workshop, then all paid registrants will receive a full pro-rata refund for those days that were cancelled.
- Check this website for changes, updates and new information.
- Questions and requests to be added to the waiting list can be directed to Rob Talbert (BWS Workshop Chair) at Rob@TalbertFineArt.com.
The Hawthorn Center is located in the community of Hickory Ridge in Columbia, Maryland:
6175 Sunny Spring
Columbia, MD 21044-5623
Tel: (410) 730-7327
Doors open at Hawthorn Center: 9:30 AM
Workshop instruction begins: 10:00 AM
One-hour break for lunch
Workshop instruction ends: 4:30 PM
Hawthorn Center closes and doors are locked promptly at 5:00 PM
If you have questions, please contact Rob Talbert by email at Rob@TalbertFineArt.com or write to hime at 12504 Gravenhurst Lane, North Potomac, MD. 20878.