Wednesday, June 8, 2016
7:00 – 9:00 pm
at the Hawthorn Center, Columbia, MD
We are pleased to announce that Texas watercolorist, Joyce Hicks, AWS, will be giving a special presentation for the Baltimore Watercolor Society on the evening of Wednesday, June 8, 2016 from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm at the Hawthorn Center in Columbia, Maryland. Joyce will discuss her painting journey and process, demonstrate painting techniques and answer questions from those attending about her work in watercolor painting.
Joyce's paintings are immediately recognizable; her unique and masterful landscape compositions, vibrant colors and joyful vibe all combine to create a mood and sense of place. Here is Joyce's artist statement from her website (jhicksfineart.com):
I’ve always been able to see places and things in an idealistic way, but it wasn’t until I discovered painting that I was able to express and interpret this personal view. My art is not always a true rendition of what is actually there but how I wish it could be. If the old white homestead is a bit neglected, then I will just capture it in sunlight to discover its real beauty. If there is only one withered rose on the old trellis then why not one hundred in full bloom?
Frequent travel allows me to see and define what my heart is drawn to. Not in the grand or extraordinary but in simple unassuming beauty. Painting gives me the opportunity to unite visual images with a montage of personal memories stored over a life time. In an attempt to translate my feelings for a subject I use interesting brush strokes, strong contrasts, sunlight and shadow in colors both soft and bold. These elements combine in a personal way providing a visual invitation to tempt others into my world.
My purpose is to uplift the human spirit and my hope is that my paintings will inspire others to join me as I continue my artistic journey. I enjoy entering competitions, teaching workshops and presenting painting demonstrations. I’m a member of numerous societies including Signature Member Status in the American Watercolor Society and past President of the Central Texas Watercolor Society.
Registrations for this event are open now for BWS members and guests.
- Date: June 8, 2016 (Wednesday), from 7:00 – 9:00 pm (building opens at 6:30 pm)
- Price: $20 for all BWS members (including associates) and $20 for guests; no refunds (except in the case of the event being cancelled for weather or other reason.)
- Please pay online via PayPal if possible. Otherwise, checks should be made out to Baltimore Watercolor Society and mailed to me at the address below.
- For online registration, visit www.bws.onefireplace.com and go to Public Events.
- Participants will be limited to 60 people.
- The program will take place at The Hawthorn Center in Hickory Ridge, Columbia, MD. The address is: 6175 Sunny Spring, Columbia, MD 21044.
- Confirmation of your registration will be sent upon receipt of your check or online sign-up.
Program coordinator: Rob Talbert
Mail checks to: 12504 Gravenhurst Lane; North Potomac, MD 20878