'Realism through Design'
approach to painting principles and techniques
September 10th-14th 2018
Members: July 7th 2018 10:00 a.m.
Non-Members: August 11th, 2018 at 10:00 a.m.
Not member? Consider becoming an Associate
Remember that these popular events sell out fast
Registration ends September 1st, 2018 or when the event is full
FOR ONLINE REGISTRATION VISIT:
www.bws.wildapricot.org and go to Public Events.
Due to the high demand for workshops, all registrations have to be paid within 5 days of registering. No exceptions please.
The Baltimore Watercolor Society is excited to feature watercolor artist John Salminen, NWS, in a five-day watercolor workshop where he will introduce BWS watercolorists to his approach to painting principles and techniques. The workshop will begin Monday, September 10th and continue through Friday, September 14th, 2018 at the Hawthorn Center in Columbia, MD.
John is an internationally respected watercolor artist from Duluth, Minnesota. He has won over 250 major awards in national and international exhibitions and has been an invited exhibitor in 48 international exhibitions in 16 countries. His work has been featured in over 90 magazine articles and in 44 books on four continents.
For more information about John, visit www.johnsalminen.com
'Realism through Design'
Bring your painting skill to a higher level!
In this new offering, John will share his approach to painting the urban scene in watercolor. John will help participants in all aspects of painting a representational cityscape or town scene – choosing the subject, adding mood and creating emotional content, lighting the scene for dramatic effect, using photo reference in a meaningful way and most importantly, strengthening and enhancing representational painting through design. The workshop will include demonstrations, critiques and lots of one-on-one individual help. Whether you’ve never tried painting cityscapes or are an experienced urban painter, this workshop will be an invaluable opportunity to gain new painting insights.
All levels are welcome but students should have an understanding of the watercolor medium.
SUPPLIES LIST AND PREPARATION INSTRUCTIONS
A supplies list and instructions for preparing for this workshop will be sent to those registering about one month in advance of the workshop.
ABOUT JOHN SALMINEN
John Salminen is a signature member of numerous prestigious art societies in the United States, China and Australia. He has won 250 awards in national and international exhibitions, including multiple top awards in AWS, NWS, TWSA and Allied Artists of America. He received the Shanghai Biennial Award, The Pakistan Lifetime Achievement Award and the Thailand Ministry of Culture award. John is a frequent judge and juror for national and international exhibitions. He has participated in forty-eight invitational international exhibitions in China, Taiwan, Singapore, Thailand, Turkey, Russia, Greece, Mexico, Pakistan, Canada, Italy, Belgium, England, India and Australia. His work is included in permanent collections in Asia and Europe as well as in private and corporate collections throughout the United States. He is featured in forty-four books on four continents.
“I began painting as an abstract expressionist, more interested in the expressive nature of paint than in representations of objects. I still paint pure abstractions but most of my works are realistic with an underlying foundation of abstraction. Even for realism, I continue to rely heavily on my background in abstraction to guide me. The balance between abstraction and the illusion of reality is the challenge that keeps me excited about painting every day.”
- The price for the workshop is $550 for BWS members (Signature Artists and Associates) and $650 for non-BWS members.
- The class size is limited to 20 people, and the workshop cannot be split with another person.
- Please pay online via PayPal if possible; PayPal allows the use of your Credit Cards whether or not you have a PayPal account. Otherwise, checks should be made out to Baltimore Watercolor Society and mailed to Sabine Yeager at the address below. Please enter the name of the program on your check.
The program will take place at "The Hawthorn Center" in Hickory Ridge, Columbia, MD. The address is: 6175 Sunny Spring, Columbia, MD 21044.
- Confirmation of your registration will be sent upon receipt of your check or online sign-up. Checks must be received within 5 days of registration to be considered as registered.
FOR ONLINE REGISTRATION VISIT:
Remember that these workshops fill up very quickly. When filled, you can register on the waiting list.
CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS
- BWS maintains a workshop waiting list. When openings occur, BWS fills the openings from the waiting list on a first-come, first-served basis.
- BWS adds names to the waiting list according to the date and time .
- You can join the waiting list if a workshop is filled.
- You can't join a waiting list before registration opens.
- Paid registrants who cancel on or before August 10th 2018 will receive a full refund less a $25 cancellation fee if the spot can be filled from the waiting list. If the spot cannot be filled, the amount refundable is 80% of the workshop price.
- Paid registrants who cancel after August 10th 2018 will receive a full refund less a $50 cancellation fee if the spot can be filled from the waiting list. If the spot cannot be filled, no refund will be given.
- In the event of inclement weather, the workshop will still be held unless the Hawthorn Center is unable to open or the workshop artist is unable to travel. If BWS cancels the workshop, then all paid registrants will receive a full pro-rata refund for those days that were cancelled.
- Check this website for changes, updates and new information.
- Questions and requests to be added to the waiting list can be directed to Sabine Yeager (BWS Workshop Chair) at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Hawthorn Center is located in the community of Hickory Ridge in Columbia, Maryland:
6175 Sunny Spring
Columbia, MD 21044-5623
Tel: (410) 730-7327
Doors open at Hawthorn Center: 9:30 AM
Workshop instruction begins: 10:00 AM
One-hour break for lunch
Workshop instruction ends: 4:30 PM
Hawthorn Center closes and doors are locked promptly at 5:00 PM
Mail check made out to BWS and reference John Salminen Workshop to:
3420 Buttonwood Ct.
Reisterstown, MD. 21136