"Watercolor Portrait Sketching"
Wednesday, March 13th, 2019
7:00 – 9:00 pm
at the Hawthorne Center
6175 Sunny Spring
Columbia, MD 21044
BWS Members & their Guests: January 26th, 2019
Non-members: February 9th, 2019
Not a Member? Consider becoming an Associate
$25 for all BWS members
$30 for guests and public
Remember that these popular events sell out fast
Registration ends March 2nd, 2019 or when the event is full
FOR ONLINE REGISTRATION VISIT:
www.bws.wildapricot.org and go to Public Events.
Due to the high demand for workshops, all registrations have to be paid within 5 days of registering. No exceptions please.
We are pleased to have nationally recognized artist Pam Wenger, a prize winning artist, teacher of workshops, demonstrator, and Signature member of the Pennsylvania Watercolor Society and the Baltimore Watercolor Society present
'Watercolor Portrait Sketching'
Pam is a retired teacher who has always been drawn to portraits and figurative work. She has worked with local instructors and with watercolor artists, Ted Nuttall and Charles Reid. She counts many amazing artists among her friends. They keep her constantly inspired and challenged to grow in her craft.
Pam’s portrait paintings are her real love. She tries to connect with a person through their expression…their pose…their placement in the composition. Her work has been exhibited and won awards in National and Local shows, including Pennsylvania’s “Art of the State”, Pennsylvania Watercolor Society’s Juried Shows, and the Baltimore Watercolor Society’s Mid Atlantic Shows. Her art can be viewed at
“Quick Sketch” Watercolor Portraits
Learn to paint portraits in watercolor in a spontaneous style that involves minimal layering and the use of transparent colors. In this workshop, we will analyze some of the common mistakes that are made when working on portraits in watercolor and look at examples of successful watercolor portraits by artists from around the world.
Painting portraits in watercolor can seem like a daunting task, but many of us can’t resist the urge to try it. We may have a loved one who we’d like to paint or we may simply be drawn to the challenge of capturing an interesting character on paper. It’s so easy to “tighten up” our portrait paintings because of our focus on “getting it right”. Painting the “quick sketch” portraits focuses on loosening up that process and working to achieve a more relaxed look that highlights the beauty and freshness of the watercolor medium.
Date: March 13th (Wednesday), from 7:00 – 9:00 pm (building opens at 6:30 pm)
- Price: $25 for all BWS members and $30 for guests and public; no refunds (except in the case of the event being cancelled for weather or other reason.)
- Please pay online via PayPal if possible; PayPal allows the use of your Credit Cards whether or not you have a PayPal account. Otherwise, checks should be made out to Baltimore Watercolor Society and mailed to Sabine Yeager at the address below. Please enter the name of the program on your check.
- For online registration, visit www.bws.wildapricot.org and go to Public Events.
- Participants will be limited to 50 people.
- The program will take place at The Hawthorn Center in Hickory Ridge, Columbia, MD. 6175 Sunny Spring, Columbia, MD 21044.
- Confirmation of your registration will be sent upon receipt of your check or online payment. Checks must be received within 5 days of registration to be considered as registered.
Mail checks to:
3420 Buttonwood Ct.
Reisterstown, MD 21136